Wednesday, October 3, 2012

And sew on, week 2


Here we go with week 2 of the quilt-a-long. For those of you who have just tuned in, I have joined a quilt-a-long with Dawn on her blog, As Sweet As Cinnamon. She gives instructions every Wednesday. You can link to her blog here to get specifics and measurements. 

This week was easy peasy, cutting out 8 squares total.  Of course, since I am making 3 quilts, I needed 3 sets of  8 squares. 


Stitch two squares together, twice. 



Stitch both 2 units together to make a 4-patch square.  Easy as pie!  



I needed two 4-patch squares for each quilt, so I had a total of 6 squares. Start to finish about an hour.   



Watching Barney from the Andy Griffith show struggle with a bully kept me amused as I sewed.
  

Last weekend my husband and I went to a quilt shop, antique mall, and out to dinner.  I saw the most wonderful cookie jar.  It was Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel, driving in a car. The car was a teal vintage convertible. I was in love! Right away I thought of my friend Jenny , who has a cute blog called Jenny's Heart. She is also a big Lucy fan. She has sent me some wonderful Lucy collectibles.  She calls me Lucy and I call her Ethel. 



I wanted the cookie jar so badly.  The price was almost $200.  The entire booth was on sale, and I believe it would have ended up costing $167 with the discount. I considered begging my husband for this to be my Christmas present. We turned it upside down, and on the bottom it was stamped Made in China 1996.  My husband was NOT impressed and didn't seem too excited at all, so I didn't bother asking. For all you Lucy fans out there, here is a picture of the cookie jar. Isn't that so cute??!!! I love it!

I did have luck finding a few other things I loved though, and I'll share them with you another day.

I was happy to hear from a few of you that were joining the quilt-a-long, and I can't wait to see how your quilts turn out.  It's nice to be doing it along with some blogging friends, like a modern-day quilting bee! I'll see you next week!!










Thank you Meri for the adorable image of the little girl ironing!

21 comments:

  1. Lovely, i like the material.. Hugs,. Brittany, xx
    http://mymagnoliacardsbybrittany.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie I am just in love with the fabrics you are using. Can not wait to see how your quilts turn out. OH MY GOSH! I am so in love with that cookie jar. But the price is way to high. You should try going on ebay and see what you can find.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely, lovely happy florals in your quilt! not the same as finding in a shop you love, but eBay has them for under $80. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the suggestion Amy. I already have been looking and have found some that were waaaaaayy cheaper. Maybe I will be able to buy one after all. I don't know why I didn't think of it! Anyone else that finds one really cheap please let me know!!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can't wait to see how they all turn out, I just know they are gonna' be amazing!

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have thought about joining a quilt a long, I will have to head over to
    Sweet as Cinnamon and check it out...love your fabric too. I watch Andy Griffith when I craft and sew...it nevers get old!!

    chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt along sounds like such a fun thing to do. I love the fabric you have chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beautiful fabrics!! I am a huge fan of "I Love Lucy", and what a neat cookie jar!! Have a great week! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  9. The quilt squares are coming along nicely. I love the colors you chose. I could sit and watch Andy and Barney for hours on end!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for your sweet comments! I have dabbled in quilting and hope to do a little more after the holidays. I hope to watch your progress with your quilt. I know it will be great.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. After reading you profile, we have a lot in common, except age. I am a country person and can relate to your liking the outdoors. My greatest weakness is quilts. I have too many, old and new. I do not make them, just buy them. I enjoyed visiting you so much today. Thanks for your comment and becoming a follower. It means so much to me. They just do not make TV shows or movies like they used to. I have not been to a movie in years. Rarely watch TV. The shows are just not for seniors. I do like game shows tho.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Teu blog é encantador.Adorei tudo.
    Abraços
    Gilda

    ReplyDelete
  13. AWWW Lucy! You are just the best!
    I love ya bunches and that cookie jar is too perfect for us! However I must agree with Ricky YIKES $200! NO WAY! Fred agrees too, we will have to keep an eye out for a better deal in that one.
    LOVE,
    Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  14. So far, so good! I love the material you have chosen. Can't wait to see some more, Marilyn.
    PS Too bad the lucy car was so overpriced!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the fabrics you picked! I have never tried quilting, but you sure make it look easy! Oh, I love Lucy too and I love the cookie jar, but I am sure I would have to walk away with hubby at that price, then again some times a girl just has to treat herself....HUM!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are coming along beautifully with your quilt! It seems we are both Lucy, I have had more red-headed moments than I care to admit! What a cute cookie jar, a favorite episode for sure. Have a lovely fall weekend. Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an adorable post! How I wish I could join your quilt along. I have a houseguest (of which I am happy about) but it has given me little time to play in my sewing room. I love your fabrics, colors, prints...Can't wait to see your finished masterpiece!
    Big hugs,
    Carolynn xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie, I LOVE the colors you're using! This is going to be a gorgeous quilt and I can hardly wait to see it when it's finished!

    ~Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. The quilt along seems like sew much fun! Glad you are enjoying this. The cookie jars looks like a blast! Why do they want so much for it? Gee?
    Blessings,
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so funny!! I have a friend, Brenda from Cozy Little House, and we call each other Lucy and Ethel. That's a darling cookie jar but not for that price!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete