Monday, October 7, 2013

Summer, where have you gone?


As I peeked out my door I saw the grass was green and the skies were blue. The birds were calling me to come out and play. But I couldn't  . . . because I had things to do. 

Now fall is in full swing, and the leaves are beginning to turn.  When I opened my windows this morning I took in a great big breath of the crisp, cool air.  It gently caressed my face and filled my home with that wonderful feeling of freshness. Some people are rejuvinated with spring, but autumn puts me in the mood to bake, rake leaves, decorate, and get ready to settle in for winter.
I really want to make taffy apples today!  But I can't . . . because I have things to do.

Each time I come down to my sewing studio, I walk by a carefully selected stack of wonderful autumn fabrics - teasing me to come play.  I had planned on making a Halloween quilt for myself, my daughter, and daughter-in-law.  But I didn't . . .  because I had things to do.



The good news is, I did manage to enjoy the summer a bit, planting gardens, attending county fair (where I was awarded 5 blue ribbons, thank you very much!), birthday parties, barbecues, car shows, and a quilt convention.





 My husband and I even managed to take a 3 day trip to celebrate our 15th anniversary. Only a few days away, but it was a much needed break.  We try to go back each year to where we were married. 





I designed 15 adorable children's clothing patterns.  Well, the actual garments, I'm still saving up for the software to digitally draw the pattern pieces.
I had a professional photo shoot of Ellie wearing the finished garments.  It was amazing, and turned out better than I could have hoped for!  I am in the process of redesigning my blog graphics and setting up my store.  I am always trying to get "just one more" outfit done before my granddaughter Ellie moves to Tennessee. 


Mom's spinal stenosis is progressing, and we are to the point where she almost refuses to try to walk. Every day is a battle to try to have her walk at least a little, for fear that her leg muscles will weaken and she will not have the strength to get up out of the chair and transfer.  If that happens I am afraid she will no longer be able to stay at home.  I do have help in the mornings, but it is still a 7-day-a week job, with phone calls starting as early as 5 in the morning.  Dementia has set in, off and on, and for some reason she feels the need to call me pretty much all day long, starting bright and early! 

I feel so bad that I have neglected my blog for so long, but I realized that the only way I was going to keep my sanity and hopefully my health during this time in my life was to only do the absolutely necessary things to get through each day.  I do manage to do a little knitting and crochet almost daily. One afternoon a week, for 2 hours, I get together with a group of ladies at a local church who meet for a knit/crochet club.  Most of them are experienced knitters and crocheters, and this is a Godsend for me.  I have been trying to learn to follow patterns for 20 years to knit retro look cardigan sweaters, and I might just do it yet!!! 

I truly hope that all of you who I have had the pleasure of meeting in blogland will stay with me through this difficult time in my life.  If we make it through the holidays with Mom at home I will have really accomplished something.  I have accepted the fact that this won't last much longer, and most likely it won't be long until she needs to go to a facility that is better able to meet her needs.  

Until then, I will try my hardest to drop in more often to say hello and give you updates on what I have been up to! Please, all of my dear friends, have a wonderful fall. Remember, each day is a gift and you should make the most of it. 

Don't let "Having things to do" prevent you from enjoying each and every day.   



17 comments:

  1. Such a sweet post Julie. It is so good to hear from you and see you in blog land you are truly missed. We actually got a little cool weather this morning. You are in my prayers my dear.
    Hugs
    donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good to see you back Julie! I am taking a bit of a break myself right now, but I am sure glad to see you! Big hugs for all that is happening in your life right now...:)

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. So good to see a post from you, Julie!
    Praying for you and your mom. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you sweet Julie! Happy Anniversary!! Keeping you in my prayers!! Wishing you a beautiful and blessed autumn! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Julie! so good to see you here. Ive not blogged as much this summer as in the past summers I think. we have all been busy and had things to do I guess. But I think with fall settling in, we will all be back at our computers more often!
    so sorry about your moms dementia and health. That must be hard for you. I cant imagine. well, try to get outside to enjoy some of the fall before it turns to snow and winter! and do come back to see us again soon!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie,
    So glad to see you back! Your strength through these times is inspiring! Sending you and your family good thoughts and prayers.
    Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish you the best. Good to see a post from you.

    blessings,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie dear, you are never far from my thoughts, and you know that I know what you know about what's going on.......;o) We've had two months of solid doctor appointments and hopefully things are winding down a little bit. I'm so happy to hear that you're getting further along with your business, and I can't wait to see it all come to fruition. Don't forget me once your big and famous girlfriend.......hee hee

    Lots of love,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your blue ribbons. How fantastic! Continued prayers for your mom. Glad to see you back blogging again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am lifting you up in prayer today asking God to give you a double dose of His strength and grace! Blessings, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Julie it is so very good to hear from you again! You sound hard at work on life and that is a lot to deal with at times. I am glad you have found moments for yourself as well. 5 blue ribbons!! Wow! I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hang in there!
    It's great to catch up on your news, I will always check back and see if you have posted; but if not I know how crazy life can get!
    Lots of hugs!
    ~xoxo, CoriLynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Julie,
    I'm happy that you are making time for yourself and your family as difficult as it can be. Happy anniversary to you :) That is wonderful that you did a few fun things this summer ....and won some ribbons!!...you are one talented lady :)
    ((HUGS))
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie,
    I've missed you, but definitely understand why you've been absent. Glad to see that you are finding small moments to enjoy. I'm keeping you and your mom in my prayers.
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lucy,
    I miss you terribly and I know you are gonna make it through! Remember you can call me anytime day or night and I'm right here for you. I'm glad you and Ricky got away for a bit, much deserved for both of you. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Ethel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just coming by to say hi and to let you know that I haven't forgotten about you! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice blog, i saw you thrue other bloggers...loves..

    ReplyDelete